Monday, August 17, 2009

A day of great escapes.

A full day ahead. Load the pigs to go to Laverton Abattoir, pick up some more boxes which we pack meat in and pick up some Naked Neck Chickens that Ive purchased from Queensland. Getting the chickens to Melbourne from Queensland ascutally cost 3 times more than the cost of the chickens themselves.
Early this morning after getting the pigs on to the ute two of the six decided to make a break for it and muscle through the back gate of the ute and dive off the back. Scott and I then scampered to round them up and set up the ramp from the sheep yards and backed the ute up again at which point all the pigs decided to disembark also. In the end we managed reboard all passengers.
The pigs were safely dropped off in Laverton and my next stop was the company to pick up the boxes and surprise, they werent ready and they wouldnt be for the next couple of days.
Next stop Melbourne airport cargo. I was taking possession of 7 Naked Neck Chickens. I managed to get two of the rosters safely into a box and into the ute and as I was carrying the remaining 5 the bottom split in the and chickens dispersed all over the carpark. Scenarios flooded through my head of chickens making their way to the near by highway or flying over the fence onto Melbourne airport tarmac. But in the next 15 minutes I with the help of some cargo staff managed to corner and catch and put them in a more solid animal cage which I ended up purchaning from the cargo company.

No comments: